In honor of St. Patrick’s Day (hmm, I feel like I’ve started a post like that before!) here are five simple things you can do to Go Green today!
1. Use a bar of soap instead of body wash/liquid hand soap. It saves plastic and lasts so much longer! I’m liking Dr Bronner’s Almond soap right now. It smells great!
2. Switch to a reusable razor and toothbrush made from recycled yogurt containers. You can even send them back in a pre-paid mailer when you’re done, and they’ll give them “a second life as plastic lumber for park benches, decks and more!”
3. Make your green beer a local one! Try ordering a beer from the closest brewery you can find, even if that means a few states over.
4. Find street parking (if you have to drive that is!). Last night, I could have parked in my gym parking lot, but I opted to park on the street instead, so I didn’t have to take the little parking slip from the machine. It’s a tiny change, but every little bit counts! Of course there will be times when parking in a lot is your only option, so if you have to get that slip, save it! Trust me, having little bits of scrap paper in the car comes in handy when you need to scribble down a phone number or note. Not that I’ve ever done that while driving of course. No, not me. 😉
5. Bring your own spoon, or save your plastic one! Caitlin had a great suggestion on one of my past posts to keep a spoon in your purse in one of those roll-up jewelery containers. You could also wrap the top in recycled foil, or reuse an old plastic bag, like the kind English muffins come in. And if you’re in a position where you have to get a plastic spoon, don’t toss it out! You can easily wash it or run it through the dishwasher for many uses!
Just a few easy changes we can all make today. What’s your favorite green tip? Which changes have been hardest for you to make?